Green powerhouse with a twist A hydrating cooler and a deliciously flavoured buttermilk. It’s a powerful weight-loss booster, healthy for diabetics and cardiac patients. Extremely easy to make, to keep you cool and help you stay full for longer. The power of oats and the nutritional benefits of flax seeds combined with the refreshing taste of coriander and yoghurt will be the perfect thing to whip up when the hunger pangs strike.
Coriander leaves & stems – 200 g
Plain oats – 3 tbsp
Buttermilk – 500 ml
Flax seeds – 1 tbsp
Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
Water – 1 cup
Ginger – ½ tsp
Green chilli – 1
Black salt – ½ tsp
- Roast the oats, flax seeds and cumin seeds in a dry frying pan until the flax starts to crackle and the oats become slightly brown.
- Then soak this dry mixture in a cup of water for 10 minutes. The oats and seeds will soften and absorb the water. Try not to add too much because you don’t want to drain the water, as doing so will toss out the nutrients.
- Add the green chilli and ginger to the chutney jar of your blender and make a very fine paste. If you add the ginger and chilli to your drink without making it a paste first, it will not grind properly and there will be small pieces in your cooler. You may add some water while preparing this paste to help it blend more easily.
- Next prepare buttermilk. This can be made simply by diluting some yoghurt with water. You can even just make this in the blender by mixing the yoghurt with water.
- For this drink, you can use both the leaves and the stems of the coriander plant. Only use items that are green as opposed to the woody ones.
- Add the ginger-chilli mixture along with the coriander, buttermilk, black salt and the oats mixture and blend it until smooth.
- Garnish with a spring of coriander and you’re ready to drink!
Do try and leave a comment!